After studying Max Gerson’s intriguing dietary principles with regard to cancer, we explored other food therapies and this led us to Johanna Budwig’s diet, whose principles are similar and the specifics, very different!
Fats: A New Perspective For Cancer?
Dr. Johanna Budwig, a German biochemist and expert on fats and oils, was nominated for the Nobel Prize as many as six times! She has written many books, including Cancer – A Fat Problem, Death of the Tumour and True Health Against Arteriosclerosis, Heart Infarction & Cancer.
She discovered in the early 1950’s, that a specific combination of flaxseed (linseed) oil and low-fat cottage cheese significantly increases the absorption of fats in the body’s cells. And when fat absorption improves, there is a corresponding reduction in tumour growth!
Fats aren’t all bad
Despite the negative image attached to fats in general, we know that fats (lipids) play an important role in the functioning of the entire body.
They are vital for all growth processing, renewal of cells, brain and nerve functions, for the sensory organs and for the body’s adjustment to heat, cold and quick temperature changes. Our energy resources are based on lipid metabolism.
Most of the fats we consume are oils extracted from various sources: groundnut, corn, soya-bean, etc. However, since fats/oils in their natural state turn rancid quickly, they need to be processed in order to extend their shelf life and such fats go by many names, including ‘hydrogenated’, ‘partially hydrogenated’ and even ‘polyunsaturated.’
What we don’t realise is that due to the chemical processing, these fats can no longer bind with oxygen and they lose their water-solubility when bound to proteins. Simply, it means they end up as inorganic fatty deposits in the body, and particularly in our arteries, causing great harm.
Flaxseeds, the miracle food
After studying thousands of blood samples, Budwig realised that healthy people had a higher level of Omega-3 fatty acids (specifically linoleic and linolenic acids) in their blood compared to people who were ill. She experimented and found that
- Flaxseeds are the richest source of Omega-3 linols.
- However, only oil that has been protected from heat and oxidation i.e. raw and cold-pressed, is sufficiently pure enough to be of benefit. If the oil is either rancid or processed, it is damaging to human health.
Beyond this, Budwig also discovered that:
- If pure flaxseed oil is combined with sulphurated proteins (present in quark, cottage cheese and yogurt), it is water-soluble and can be absorbed more easily.
- Not only are there no further deposits, but it is able to enter the smallest capillaries, dissolving undesirable fatty deposits and cleaning out the blood vessels.
- To be effective, it is extremely important for the two natural substances (in the recommended ratio: two tablespoons raw flaxseed oil and quarter cup low-fat cottage cheese) to be blended and consumed together, since one triggers the release of the other’s properties.
Since Budwig’s early findings on the benefits of flaxseed oil, recent studies have shown impressive results, including anti-tumour activity, increased metabolism, greatly boosted immune system, reduced cholesterol levels and normalised blood pressure levels.
Once again Johanna Budwig, like Max Gerson, calls our attention to the importance of
- De-toxifying the body
- Increasing consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Minimising intake of any ‘processed’ fats and oils
Also, like with Max Gerson, we must clarify that while Johanna Budwig’s principles make sense, her specific dietary recommendations have not been scientifically validated.
We once again recommend that readers should consult their physician and/or a qualified nutritionist before trying out any new approach.
Healing Power Of The Sun
Budwig also proposed a controversial hypothesis, viz. that natural sunlight has tremendous healing powers and she highly recommended that her patients get between 20-30 minutes of early morning sunlight every day. In other words, she is encouraging us to get a nice healthy suntan, despite all those skin-care/ fairness cream ads urging us to do the contrary!
- What changes can you make in your diet plan to aid your healing?
- How can you consult experts to guide you in choosing a diet that works best for your body and condition?
- What research can you do yourself to be clearer about the diet you could follow?
Book: “Cancer – The Problem and the Solution” by Johanna Budwig and Nexus Gmbh.
Maitri Vasudev is a a student of Communications at Mount Carmel College, Bangalore. She actively participates in the ‘Wipe a Tear, Remove a Pain,’ mission of UN-recognised Shree Public Charitable Trust. With this background, Maitri has enjoyed writing for Cancer Awakens immensely.
More from this series
|Title||About the article|
|The Budwig Diet||After studying Max Gerson’s intriguing dietary principles with regard to cancer, I started exploring other food therapies and this led me to Johanna Budwig’s diet, whose principles are similar and the specifics, very different!|
|The Gerson Diet||A somewhat controversial food-based approach was proposed by Dr. Max Gerson as far back as the 1930’s. (Yes, it is the same Gerson who is more ‘infamous’ for inventing the caffeine enema!)|